Focused on client goals, Nyemaster Goode continues to provide OUTSTANDING LEGAL SERVICE across broad and diverse practice areas.
With offices in Des Moines, Ames, and Cedar Rapids, Nyemaster Goode’s broadly diverse practice offers solutions to the most challenging legal issues in virtually every area of the law. Our clients include companies that range from emerging start-ups to Fortune 500s, as well as individuals.
We provide legal services to our clients through six primary practice areas:
Each primary practice area is populated with attorneys who are experienced and knowledgeable in specialized, technical, and industry-specific subpractice areas.
Our legal representation emphasizes client priorities:
To meet our clients’ needs and expectations, our fee arrangements include:
- Traditional hourly rate engagements
- Innovative alternative fee arrangements tailored to the specific situation
REPUTATION FOR EXCELLENCE
Highly respected by peers, judiciary, administrators, and clients, Nyemaster Goode attorneys are consistently recognized for outstanding legal work.
- 19 attorneys clerked for state or federal judges
- 1 is a former Federal Circuit Court of Appeals clerk, the only one practicing in Iowa
- 1 previously worked with the Internal Revenue Service
- 1 formerly worked at the Federal Trade Commission
- 4 are certified public accountants
- 9 are registered patent attorneys
- 33 graduated Order of the Coif
- 73 graduated from law school with honors
Our attorneys are often called on to share their knowledge and experience. They are active members and leaders in legal organizations.
- Frequent speakers and authors on legal subjects
- Several hold leadership positions within the:
- American Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Iowa Defense Counsel
- Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- All attorneys at the firm are members of the:
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk, Story, or Linn County Bar associations
Nyemaster Goode and its attorneys regularly EARN OUTSTANDING MARKS from respected guides, peer reviews, legal organizations, and community groups.
RECOGNITION FOR LEGAL EXCELLENCE
Our firm and attorneys have received recognition from well-regarded, objective guides and rating organizations. In multiple categories and practice areas, Nyemaster Goode attorneys are noted for the quality of their work. A few examples include:
Iowa Firm of the Year, Benchmark Litigation, 2019 (fourth consecutive year)
27 practice areas ranked “Tier 1,” U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers® Best Law Firm rankings, 2020
19 attorneys recognized as “Leading Lawyers,” Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
4 practice areas ranked “Band 1” in Iowa, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
43 attorneys selected for Best Lawyers list, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2020
9 attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year,” The Best Lawyers in America©, 2020
28 attorneys selected to Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2019
3 attorneys named to Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, 2019
17 attorneys named to Great Plains Super Lawyers list for more than 10 consecutive years
RECOGNITION FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE
Nyemaster Goode is committed to community service. Our commitment shows in recognition for individual attorneys and our firm by community organizations.
The firm encourages pro bono involvement by our attorneys. Most Nyemaster Goode attorneys are registered to accept pro bono case assignments through the Volunteer Lawyers Project sponsored by the Polk County Bar Association. Nyemaster Goode has been recognized annually by the Polk County Bar Association for the participation of its attorneys and is a past recipient of the Iowa State Bar Association Law Firm Award for pro bono service.
Nyemaster Goode also encourages attorneys and staff to be committed members of the community. The firm and its employees have been recognized regularly for their contributions to civic and charitable organizations in Des Moines and central Iowa.
Our firm supports diversity and inclusion to ensure all employees are WELCOME AND COMFORTABLE within the firm.
REFLECTING OUR DIVERSE COMMUNITIES
Nyemaster Goode is dedicated to creating opportunities for lawyers and staff members within our firm and within the legal profession, regardless of race, gender, national origin, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status.
Our firm supports diversity and inclusion internally, in the profession, and in the community.
Our standing Diversity and Inclusion Committee’s mission is to help the firm in its diversity and inclusion efforts. The committee:
- Consults with our hiring committees to attract, retain, and promote exceptional lawyers and staff members who reflect the varied backgrounds of our clients and the communities we serve.
- Identifies and supports organizations and educational institutions from which we recruit attorneys and staff members who will assist us in achieving our objectives.
Notable initiatives include:
- Since 2017 Nyemaster Goode has been a sponsor of the Drake University Law School’s Law Opportunity Leadership Program. The program places a qualified law student from an underrepresented group into our Des Moines office as a paid summer clerk after the student’s first year of law school. The student spends five weeks working in our law firm office and five additional weeks working on-site at a client company.
- Nyemaster Goode provides financial support to One Iowa, a statewide LGBTQ organization preserving and advancing equality through grassroots efforts, advocacy, and education.
- The firm has an active Women in Nyemaster affinity group that provides mentoring, professional development, networking, and support opportunities for our female attorneys, as well as female attorneys at client companies.
Nyemaster Goode is the only Iowa member of several leading law organizations. These networks expand our resources to reach around the globe.
- A global alliance of 183 independent business law firms from more than 90 countries.
- Coordinated, localized legal services.
- A worldwide network of more than 7,200 experienced lawyers.
- Employment Law Alliance
- A network of more than 3,000 lawyers around the world knowledgeable in state and national labor and employment law.
- Lawyers in all 50 states and more than 100 foreign countries.
- Resources provided by other member firms of the Alliance assist with labor law variations from state to state and country to country—allowing us to best serve our clients.
- State Capital Global Law Firm Group
- More than 140 independent law firms serving businesses in all 50 state capitals and in capital cities and major commercial centers around the world.
- A unique network of capital-based attorneys, former government officials, state government practitioners, and international law attorneys.
- Member firms are strategically positioned to serve the most diverse business needs in today’s global economy.
Founded in 1918, Nyemaster Goode continues outstanding service to its clients and community into its NEXT CENTURY.
A STRONG FOUNDATION FOR THE FUTURE
100 years. A century. It’s a long time for any business to survive. A few years ago, a Forbes magazine article noted that successful companies on the S&P 500 Index typically exist for 15 years. Smaller companies have a far more abbreviated longevity.
Now the largest law firm in Iowa, Nyemaster has had more than a century of growth, success, and continual change and adaptation. Our list of accomplishments and record of achievements has expanded with the communities we serve.
THE FOUNDING YEARS
March 1, 1918—J.L. Parrish, Sr., and M.H. Cohen, esteemed lawyers and prominent figures in Des Moines, founded the law firm as Parrish & Cohen.
- J.L. Parrish, Sr., an influential business and commercial lawyer, represented Northwestern Bell, then a large, far-reaching, and powerful company.
- Legal work for this highly respected client provided the foundation of the business-focused aspect of the firm’s practice, which continues today.
CHANGING NAMES, STEADY GROWTH
The firm’s members and its name evolved, ebbed, and flowed as esteemed and freshly minted attorneys joined the firm. Their contributions continued to enhance the firm’s reputation.
1935—Ray Nyemaster, the eponym of the present-day firm, joined the partnership.
1941–1945—World War II interrupted the firm’s growth. Only four attorneys actively practiced. Other current and future firm attorneys served our country, returning to practice after the war.
- Max O’Brien served as an Army major general.
- Sam O’Brien served as an Army officer.
- Kent Emery served as an Army officer.
- Luther Hill, who clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black before joining the firm, served in the Army.
- D.J. (Jack) Goode (also an FBI agent), served in the Navy.
1968—In its 50th year, 11 attorneys were practicing with the firm.
- Offices were on the ninth floor of the Register and Tribune Building in downtown Des Moines (Office comfort varied; Jim West recalled that his repurposed office had been a closet).
- Before the 1970s, each attorney handled a little of everything. It was not uncommon for an attorney to close a business transaction on Monday and be in court trying a case on Tuesday.
1970s—The firm experienced rapid development with the number of attorneys doubling over that decade.
- The firm began to develop specialties in several practice areas through a breadth of experience, flexibility, and willingness to undertake a wide variety of legal matters.
- An era of greater professional concentration began.
1980s—Expansion accelerated. This growth correlated with the growing Iowa and national economies and the expansion of state and federal statutes and administrative regulations and oversight.
- The firm’s present-day organization began to take shape, with multiple departments practicing specialized disciplines within a broad-spectrum, full-service law firm.
- The Des Moines office moved to the Hubbell Building, where it was located for many years, and then occupied space in Hub Tower for 10 years.
July 1997—The Des Moines office moved to its current location on four floors in the EMC Building.
1999—The firm opened its Ames office, adding three attorneys
January 2009—The firm opened its Cedar Rapids office, adding five more attorneys.
MOVING WITH THE TIMES AND TECHNOLOGY
With its commitment to embracing current tested technology—from the first dictation and facsimile machines to the complex document management systems available today—the firm has maintained its competitive status.
Nyemaster has an imbued culture of respect for disciplined and strategic planning, even in the course of difficult economic events such as the 2008–2009 financial crisis.
A strategic, analytical approach to business continuity has been a touchstone of the firm’s success over the past 100-plus years.
Today—Nyemaster employs over 170 people, including more than 90 attorneys.
- Legal services range from local dealings to national and international transactions.
- Nyemaster is a recognized standard in quality legal services with multifaceted expertise in areas of law that weren’t even imagined when the firm was launched.
A demand for excellence, a dedication to ethics, and an abiding respect for its responsibility to its clients are qualities inherent in Nyemaster. Then. Now. Always.