Associates are positioned for career success.
Nyemaster Goode represents clients in complex, high-value, and challenging cases, business deals, and other legal matters.
We help our associates build skills to establish a sophisticated legal practice and develop rewarding client relationships.
- Associates immediately get hands-on experience with sophisticated projects.
- Associates are hired to work and grow from the start with a career-long relationship anticipated.
- Associates interact directly with clients early in their careers.
- Associates are hired with the expectation that they will become shareholders, usually over a five-year process (versus 8–10 years in New York, Chicago, and Minneapolis).
- The annual billable hours expectation is 1,850 hours—hundreds less than that of larger firms in major cities.
- Our expectation is that associates have time for family, community involvement, and other extracurricular activities.
- Our starting salary is very competitive in the Midwest.
- Experienced colleagues offer support and training.
- Our attorneys have established reputations for outstanding service in their specialties.
Nyemaster Goode has a history of success and accolades:
- Founded in 1918
- Largest law firm in Iowa
- One of the most recognized firms in the region
- Diversified practice
- Depth of experience in broad range of practice areas
- Offering solutions to challenging legal issues
- Successfully closing high-worth deals
- Regularly recognized by peers, respected legal guides, and associations for excellence
Nyemaster handles diverse and intellectually challenging cases and legal matters. All rely on high-quality representation and sophisticated problem-solving. From emerging start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, our clients expect outstanding counsel. Nyemaster represented:
- The Iowa General Assembly in a lawsuit against the governor challenging the constitutionality of the exercise of his item-veto power. A unanimous Iowa Supreme Court decision found the vetoes unconstitutional.
- One of Iowa’s larger insurance companies in a $90 million securities public offering.
- A large Des Moines-based life insurer and annuity company in its $2.9 billion merger with an international financial services company.
- Institutional lenders across the country, closing approximately $2 billion in commercial real estate financing transactions each of the past few years.
Nyemaster attorneys are involved in cases with far-reaching impact.
- Changed age discrimination law with the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Gross v. FBL Financial Services, Inc.
- Defended the first sexual harassment jury trial in Iowa’s federal courts.
- Defended the first AIDS discrimination jury trial in Iowa.
Click a position below to learn more and to apply.