John Blyth has an active Business, Finance & Real Estate practice. He has developed a broad-based and diverse practice in commercial finance, project finance, consumer finance, and public finance, as well as a financial institution BSA/AML and economic sanctions regulatory practice, building on his varied professional experiences. John is the head of the firm’s Public Finance practice group.
Prior to joining Nyemaster Goode in 2012, John served for more than 11 years in various in-house legal and compliance roles for affiliates of De Lage Landen, a global provider of leasing, business and consumer finance services, including as general counsel in De Lage Landen’s London office from 2008 to 2011. John was in private practice in Des Moines for 20 years prior to his move to De Lage Landen representing commercial banks and other lenders in asset based lending, securitizations, secured and unsecured commercial lending and consumer finance transactions involving various structures and serving as bond counsel and underwriter, lender, issuer, and borrower counsel in traditional government financing and conduit financing transactions.
John’s commercial finance practice specifically involves representation of lenders and borrowers in:
- Secured syndicated loan facilities
- Securitization and SPE financings
- Asset-based loan financings
- Equipment lease and loan financings
- Construction, project, and real estate development financings
- Single lender secured and unsecured commercial loan financings
A public finance practice often integrates several legal disciplines across various industries, such as commercial and public lending, federal income tax, securities regulation, and state law doctrines and statutory requirements concerning the authority to issue debt obligations. John’s public finance practice touches all these areas through his involvement serving as bond counsel, trustee counsel, lender counsel, underwriter counsel, private placement counsel and borrower counsel in connection with:
- Anticipatory warrant financings
- Real estate development district and rural water district revenue bond financings
- Qualified small issue conduit bond financings
- Health care facility financings
- Qualified 501(c)(3) conduit bond financings.
John’s consumer financial services practice involves regulatory compliance issues, including lender compliance with the FCRA and ECOA.
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
National Association of Accountants
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Commercial Finance Committee
- Securitization and Structured Finance Committee
- Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Uniform Commercial Code Committee
Iowa State Bar Association
- Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section Council, 2018
- UCC Revised Article 9 Study Committee, 1999
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute
Youth Emergency Services & Shelter
- Board Member, 1995–2003
- Treasurer, 1999–2003
SPEECHES & PUBLICATIONS
John frequently lectures on bank and commercial lending, loan documentation, financial institution anti-money laundering and economic sanctions rules, UCC Article 9, and consumer finance and regulatory issues.